1/08/2009 06:31:00 PM

(0) Comments

Eagles Getting Good At Exceeding My Low Expectations


As I did for Week 17, I kept my expectations very low going into last weekend's Wild Card game in Minnesota. Of course I rooted my heart out for the Birds, but if you have low expectations, you cannot be disappointed. And given the crazy world of bad news we're all surrounded by these days, I don't think I can handle any more disappointment--especially not from the 2008 Philadelphia Eagles.

Fortunately, when you have low expectations, it's also not hard to end up feeling elated, as I did with the Eagle's very solid win against the Vikings. The Defense played fantastic, shutting out the Vikes in the second half. And #5 kept his cool throughout and guided the Eagles to victory. Everyone did their part--the players played well and the coaches game-planned and coached well. Some people are upset about the lack of TDs by the offense, but this is the playoffs, where shootouts are rare. Winning in the playoffs means good field position, avoiding big mistakes, converting key 3rd downs on offense, getting stops on key 3rd downs and stopping the run. The Eagles did all of this, Akers had a great game, and we broke a big play in the second half. We did everything it takes to win in the playoffs.

While I'm happy with the effort and results from the Vikings game, I don't think that'll be good enough to beat the Giants. Don't get me wrong--I have no complaints about our performance against the Vikings--but we'll need to play our best game to beat the G-men.

Nevertheless, just a few weeks ago, I had no expectations that the Eagles would even be in the playoffs, so I'm a happy fan.
0 Responses to "Eagles Getting Good At Exceeding My Low Expectations"