9/07/2008 10:24:00 AM

(0) Comments

Eagles 2008 Season Log: Intro


My life as a sports fan is back now that the 2008 NFL Season has arrived. Through this blog, I'm going track the highs and lows of the 2008 season, told through the eyes (mine) of a long-suffering, but ever hopeful, diehard fan of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The past couple years have been tough--particularly as a big fan of Eagles QB Donovan McNabb. Since their loss in Super Bowl 39 to the Patriots, the team has only made the playoffs once, and McNabb has not won a Playoff game. First, a sports hernia and the antics of Terrell Owens wrecked the team's chances in 2005, then he tore his ACL on a freak play (he wasn't hit) in 2006. Last year, he wasn't healthy until late in the season, and the team missed the Playoffs despite a strong finish. These 2 years came after 4 consecutive NFC Championship game appearances (1-3 record).

Like all NFL fans, I am optimistic every year, when everyone is "undefeated." This has been especially true for me given that I started paying close attention again (the team was pretty bad for about 5 years before Reid came in) with the arrival of the Reid/McNabb era in 1999. So it should be without surprise that my optimism is back this year.

This year feels different. It feels more like rational exuberance. McNabb is healthy, and the team has reloaded. They drafted Cal standout WR DeSean Jackson, signed Asante Samuel from the Pats, traded a 4th rounder for Lorenzo Booker, got faster at LB, and have a balanced and deep DL.

I'd probably be less exuberant if there were an NFC equivalent to the Patriots or Colts--teams that go deep into the Playoffs every year. After the two top teams (Cowboys and Packers), the NFC was wide open last year, and the 8-8 Eagles had a legitimate shot at the Playoffs until late in the Season. With the Farve-less Packers and Playoff winless-Romo, it's even more wide open this year, and I look for the Birds to return to form.

Despite my excitement, there's a reason they play the games, and I've got 16 ahead of me. I look forward to sharing my season with you. Please stay tuned.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!
0 Responses to "Eagles 2008 Season Log: Intro"